Monday, December 30, 2013

My Top 10 Professional Resolutions for 2014

Here we are, hours away from 2014.

And right about now, plenty of people are thinking about resolving to make changes (presumably for the better) in their lives.

Since I'm doing a lot of introspective thinking about my career, I thought this year I’d make a list of things I’d like to change or do differently in 2014 as it relates to my professional life.

Initially, it was a long list. I whittled it down to items that, for me, will hopefully result in greater satisfaction or sense of accomplishment.

Some are about getting more organized. A few have to do with the way technology has altered my life. Others involve strengthening relationships. And some are simply things I would like to do better, or more often.

What do you want to change in 2014? Please feel free add your own 2014 “professional” resolutions.

My Top 10 Professional Resolutions for 2014

10. Break out of email jail.
It’s time I heeded the advice of countless time management professionals. I need to get back to using email as a tool. Practically speaking, this means closing my email client and only checking it at specific intervals throughout the day. After all, if a matter is that urgent, I should get a call, not an email.

My success will depend on reducing self-inflicted email – by lowering the frequency (or turning off) email notifications and alerts, plus culling newsletter subscriptions down to only those I read religiously.

9. Drop the phone.
I am a mobile phone addict. Any free moment I have, I’m checking email and text messages, stocks, weather, and social media channels – even playing a few Words with Friends games. I know it’s annoying to those around me and can even be a dangerous distraction.

Most of all, I believe my idle time could be better used. As idle time. I don’t know about you, but it seems the minute I let my mind wander, great ideas come to light.

8. Delete time-sucking apps/games.
If I'm vowing to stop fiddling with my phone every waking moment, then I probably should delete some of those non-essential apps/games that are begging me to open them up.

7. Develop a more disciplined approach to consuming content.
I'm suffering from content over-load. My "articles to read later" file is bursting at the seam (metaphorically speaking of course, since I'm sure it can hold much more than I'd ever be able to save/bookmark).

It's time to develop a system to prioritize the inflow and then systematically catch up on content I'm definitely interested in reading/viewing.

6. Develop a more disciplined approach to creating content.
If I wean myself from my inbox and schedule time to read relevant content, it will free up some serious time for my “real” work. My underlying goal here is to get in the habit of writing on a more disciplined and scheduled basis.

As an added benefit, if I can lessen the number of times I am racing to finish a presentation or write a critically important document, I am sure it will have nothing but a positive impact on the quality and quantity of my work.

5. Filter out the non-essential.
Wouldn't it be great to have a pair of glasses that would only allow us to see the things that really mattered? Not the proverbial rose-colored ones, but more like a pair equipped with a yellow highlighter?

As already noted, I need to be more discerning when it comes to how I spend my time. That means skipping meetings where I’m invited as a nicety rather than necessity, resist raising my hand every the time there is a call for volunteers, more rapidly recognizing when something is a lost cause and it’s time to move on, and so on. By cutting out the extraneous, what’s important will probably shine so bright I’ll be reaching for sunglasses instead.

4. Find the time to lend a hand.
In what might seem contradictory to my previous comment about not volunteering at every opportunity, I do want to help or assist colleagues more often. Not that I haven’t in the past, but connecting with or providing support to my professional friends sometimes gets relegated to the bottom of my to-do list.

A meaningful introduction, constructive suggestion, word of encouragement or sending a hand-written note of appreciation goes a long way to show people you value that your relationship with them matters.

3. Teach.
When I was about 10 years old, I wanted to become a teacher. My parents salvaged some old desks being thrown out by a local school and I quickly set about creating a classroom in our basement for my younger siblings and kids from our neighborhood. Convincing them to “play school” after school or on a Saturday wasn’t always a popular idea, but it forced me to find ways to make education fun and engaging.

Whenever I’ve been able to be an instructor, coach or mentor into my life, it has provided me with a great deal of personal satisfaction – plus the added benefit of giving back to the individual, community or company at large.

2. Talk less. Listen more.
I have quite a bit of Italian blood coursing through my veins, and apparently the gift of gab and gesturing while speaking goes along with that part of my heritage (at least in my family). While I love telling stories to illustrate a point, I need to keep it short and concise. And occasionally sit on my hands.

Being a good listener is an essential part of being a good manager, co-worker, employee, friend, spouse or parent. Yet there are times I could listen more deeply, stifle the impulse to express my opinions or recognize that a response is not always required.

1. Learn something new every day.
“Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.” - Nelson Mandela

Given the amount of information that swirls around us each and every day, coming across something I did not already know is not that difficult. So what I am really after is finding or observing something will spark my curiosity and imagination. Entice me want to learn more. Ask questions. Challenge the consensus. Formulate my own opinions.

As my greatest passion is idea generation (and problem-solving), constantly learning is an occupational must and something I need to keep in front of me every day.


I would like to wish everyone a happy, and professionally satisfying, New Year. Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment