Saturday, November 16, 2013

My soft, snugly bathrobe

Today's musing surrounds a simple fact: I stayed in my bathrobe all day.

It wasn't rainy. It wasn't cold (actually it was unseasonably warm and sunny here). I wasn't sick. I wasn't waiting for something to finish in the dryer.

I just didn't feel like getting out of the one piece of clothing I own that I find most comfortable. And comforting.

My soft, snugly bathrobe was a gift from my kids (my daughter picked it out) a few years ago. A plush, mid-calf length white spa-quality robe. It is the softest robe I've ever owned.

But back to the why.... I had all sorts of plans for the day mapped out in my head. Get some holiday shopping done. A few other small errands. Even thought I was going to get in a run. None of which happened.

I didn't even do anything of real substance inside the house either. Didn't get to tackle re-organizing a closet or clearing out an over-stuffed drawer. No cleaning of any real sort - didn't even make the bed. No cooking other than reheating some pasta for lunch.

So what the hell happened to me? In pondering why I just couldn't seem to muster the energy to do anything productive today, it occurred to me that my mind and body were completely in sync with each other and were no-so subtly trying to tell me something all week.

Rest.

For anyone that knows me, they know that I am rarely ever at rest. And when not doing something, I'm planning to do something. Even when I am quietly sitting at a keyboard, my mind is racing to infinity and beyond. Some describe me as having a touch of ADD. I'm just one of those "go-go-go"people versus the "laid back" kind.

And no matter which side of that spectrum you fall on - I can attest that crossing over to the other side every now and again is well worth the trip.  It's not that one side is better or worse than the other, but like all things in life, finding a balance can be extremely rewarding on many levels.

For me, puttering around the house, looking out the window at the beautiful foliage, catching up by actually talking (not texting!) with a friend, petting my cat and doing a bit of personal writing was completely fulfilling and restful day for me.

All in my soft, snugly bathrobe.


No comments:

Post a Comment